KWAG regularly keeps its members up to date with newsletters. These detail our current progress, future plans, and titbits of the history of the park and house. Browse through our back-issues here.
- Another successful Big Bulb Plant, Concrete plans for the Iron Bridge at last, Restoration plans for the lilypond, KWAG wins RHS award, The Kings Weston tornado of 1859, A regency painting discovered.
- Heritage open day report, Iron Bride progress update, Planning proposals at the house change, The walled Gardens in the 1950s.
- Last of the laurels for this summer, Important details for Heritage Open Day, KWAG leaflets republished, Iron Bridge progress, A new insight into Kings Weston as a WWI hospital, Henry Nicholls: a forgotten son of Kings Weston.
- Slow work on the laurels, Tree travails on the avenue, Heritage Open Day 2023, Updates from the estate, The Letters of Katherine Southwell.
- Summer work on the Penpole Wood laurels, Coffee House set to reopen, Explore Kings Weston Villa, Iron Bridge update, Kings Weston’s most ancient resident.
- Retracing steps in Penpole Wood, Wildflower meadows go from strength to strength, White Oak path reopened, Morality and scandal at Kings Weston Inn.
- Quarry Grove clearing III, Planning application updates, More evidence for Kings Weston in WWII, Kings Weston Garden City: a forgotten dream.
- More clearing the quarry grove, daffodils on the Echo path, a mystery WWII photo, reimagining the lost formal gardens.
- Clearing the quarry grove, Join our Shirehampton Walking tour, Georgian water cisterns, a recovered fragment of stone urn.
- Tidying behind the terrace II, Cafe update, another opportunity to celebrate the estate, parks work tackles encroachment, A Shirehampton Park Painting
- Tidying behind the terrace I , Keeping ourselves afloat, Positive news on the iron bridge, Retracing our steps at Bristol archives.
- Finishing off in Penpole Wood, sad news from Kings Weston cafe, more commitments to the iron bridge, Echo repairs, working party poster and dates for 2023, a pennant from Penpole.
- Big Bulb Plant report, Remembering Tim Denning – KWAG’s co-founder, More iron bridge protests, A view of Kings Weston hospital, Excavations at The Tump
- Heritage Open Day report, new steps in Penpole Wood, Painted from Penpole – a new discovery, Lawrence Weston – A legacy of estates
- Laurel trimming in Penpole Wood, preparing for Heritage Open Day, Fascinating Fives Court, What lies beneath – more on the archaeological parchmarks from the garden.
- Working Party – Back to the laurels, tidying around the Circle, What lies beneath – archaeological parchmarks from the garden, last fragments of Penpole Lodge.
- Working Party – A final flourish at Penpole Point, Formality restored to the Echo path, Mystery of the Kings Weston hospital magazine. The success of Penpole wildflowers.
- Working Party – Yet more at Penpole Point, Reviving our walking tours, Interior design at Kings Weston house.
- Working Party – Penpole campaign continues, Iron Bridge Listed building application lodged, Our future projects, Forest of Avon Volunteers, and road closures.
- Working Party – More Penpole Point Progress, ablaze with daffodils, your views asked for on Segways, The Last Squire’s silverware, Kings Weston and the Irish influence.
- Working Party – Bramble clearing at penpole Point, Iron Bridge breakthrough, Daffodils on the rise, Penpole Point: a place for the people, Penpole Poetry.
- Working Party – Laurel on the rustic pleasure walk, Iron Bridge update from Darren Jones MP, supporting the Forest of Avon Trust, Kings Weston features in a new book.
- Working Party – Picking around Penpole, Iron Bridge Update , Mosel mansion, Southwell’s architectural Odyssey.
- Happy Christmas from KWAG . Penpole Plans for December, More on the Penpole Laurels, The regency recollections of Francoise Baron.
- Big Bulb Plant report, Iron Bridge protest update, more Penpole pictures, Mowing progress, wildflower seeds at the Echo, and the stone of Kings Weston house.
- Return to the laurels III, Doors Open Day review, A painting lost and found, keeping on top of access, and unraveling the historic stairs. .
- Return to the laurels II, Shirehampton Park painting, Tackling the tennis court (again), Silver plates of historic interest.
- Working Party returns to Laurels in penpole Wood, Iron Bridge update, Reassurance on tree works at the house, a Victorian View surfaces.
- Conserving Penpole Point II. National Grid money confirmed, Enigmatic sculptures in Penpole Woods, 1973 – the park under threat.
- Conservation work on Penpole Point, Iron Bridge in for planning, developments at Kings Weston house, working party dates confirmed, and the historic Penpole Dial.
- Keeping up appearances, bulb plant results, more anniversary planting, Exploring Longcombe.
- Celebrating our first decade: Part III – To Celebrate!
- Celebrating our first decade: Part II – To Enhance…
- Celebrating our first decade: Part I – To Conserve…
- Christmas greetings, Provisional 2021 working party dates, Floodlight application poses threat, a Landscape from a romantic age, preparing the slopes for Spring .
- Big Bulb Plant report, Iron Bridge Update, Are you a Lark Ascending family, First photo and first plan of Kings Weston.
- More work in Echo Wood, Big Bulb Plant preparations, WWII artefacts uncovered, Fragments from the old Bristol Bridge.
- Straightening the Echo Path, Postcards from Kings Weston, Stone survivals from the Tudor house.
- Working parties recommence, work during the pandemic, developments with ownership at Kings Weston house, Historic travelling case and contents donated.
- Coronavirus pandemic and the park, Planning a return for working parties, cafe news, Family connections wit h the Kings Weston History.
- Coronavirus pandemic update, Spring newcomers in the woods, Ash die-back, WWII remembered, A Georgian view uncovered.
- Retracing our steps at the Echo, Coronavirus information, daffodils put on incredible display, past Easters at Penpole Point.
- Future Working Party projects, new painting of the parkland, bulbs ready to blow, Historic document surfaces at auction.
- Planting round Penpole Wood, more tidying, Restoration of Echo Walk, Keeping on top of the margins, Leeds visitors keen on Kings Weston, A Century of Lark Ascending.
- Tidying round Penpole Wood, new dates for history walking tours.
- More working party progress in Penpole Wood, Iron Bridge update, Kingsweston Hill in history
- Big Bulb Plant success, Cutting through the rumours: News from the house, Up on the roof: A hidden history
- Doors Open Day report, iron Bridge News, New benches, Lost chandelier up for auction, notice board in the cafe, The Echo: Baroque Ruin.
- Tidying up on Penpole Point, Iron Bridge options,
- Retracing our steps with laurel clearance III, Parks Restructure, Penpole Lane Planning, Know Your Place website
- Retracing our steps with laurel clearance II,Important news on the Iron Bridge, more benches installed, Wildflowers run wild, Preserving the memory of Penpole Lodge
- Retracing our steps with laurel clearance, Statue remade, Possible Penpole Pond, a new sketch, John William Miles: Last in a political dynasty
- Final act above the quarry garden, Iron bridge planning update, Shirehampton Park: A park for the people
- Kings Weston and the Sea Mills centenary, Iron Bridge Planning application made. Urban buss flower meadow, and laurel clearance update
- Laurel clearance continues at the Quarry garden, Spring bulbs in flower, News updates in briet, New paintings come to light
- More above the quarry garden, Iron bridge update, Third edition of the estate guide published.
- Fall and rise of Kings Weston stables, keeping on top of the copses, metal detecting concerns, walking tour dates, Continuing above the quarry garden
- Working party results above the Quarry Garden. planning and bridge updates, New bench on the South Walk, WWI images discovered.
- Bulb Plant report, more planning battles at Penpole Lane, Secret Nature Report, WWI Remembered.
- Doors Open Day report, Hinkley Point investment confirmed.
- Special working party project, Planning updates, archaeology at the Georgian Arbour
- completion of the yew walk restoration, preparing for Doors Open day, music at the house, balustrade completed, drought continues, plan to survey an historic site.
- Continuing on the yew walk, Penpole Lane update, Georgian boundary stone rediscovered, Photographic reminiscences from the 1960s
- Restoring the yew walk, developments on the Penpole Lane site, Fabulous wildflowers, The farms of the Kings Weston Estate
- Penpole Lane problems, Work around the Scout’s Chapel, news updates from around the estate, how yew trees tell us about the park’s history.
- Last stop for laurels, Replanting Penpole Wood, Southwell’s and the Slave Economy, Vanbrugh letter arrives in the archives, Sale of Home Farm moves to auction. .
- More laurel clearance, Iron Bridge protest, some short updates, Walled Garden renovations, the Police’s time at Kings Weston house
- More laurel clearance, Iron Bridge protest, some short updates, Walled Garden renovations, the Police’s time at Kings Weston house
- Return to the laurels in Penpole Wood, Philip Miles portrait for sale, Home Guard in Home Park.
- work on the meadow margins, National Award for chairman David Martyn, Great Court consultation, history of the verge plantation.
- Big bulb plant 2017,new bin installed, Iron Bridge update, Vanbrugh Exhibition at the library, the appeal of Penpole Point
- Finishing the Echo Wood, Garden works at the house complete, Growing concern on Penpole Lane, Tree graffitti
- More laurel clearance in Echo Wood, Iron Bridge update, Doors Open Day report, Last of the Miles’s
- Working party beyond the echo path, Historic Home Farm on the market, Sponsored benches update, New theories on Kings Weston’s Roman Landscape.
- More South Walk views, Help sponsor a bench, Brief update on Penpole Lane, The Echo Plinth and a Roman influence.
- Urgent help needed to combat panning on Penpole Lane,Making connections on the South Walk, Home Farm reveals hidden history, Forty years of resistance: Preserving Kings Weston
- Working party on the ancient avenue, Iron Bridge update, New steps at the Echo, Doctor Who at Kings Weston, Big Bulb Plant blooms, Beating the Bounds at Penpole Lodge
- Archaeology day results, walking tour announcement, tree planting, a new painting found, and spies on the Kings Weston estate!
- Update on garden developments, bulbs putting on a show, new steps plan, finalising laurel clearance.
- The Circle completed, forthcoming events, Lely painting returns, Newly found historic sketch
- More laurel clearance, working party dates 2017, evergreen shrubs, and Ordnance Survey points
- More laurel clearance in Penpole Wood, developments around the house, 1950s school memories, A delve into the museum stores
- Big bulb plant report, KWAG is Five years old! Kings Weston takes centre stage at heritage forum conference, British Library paintings made public, Kings Weston as war hospital.
- 4th annual big bulb plat, Doors Open day report, Warning of forthcoming woodland work, Restored balustrade and garden news, Iron Bridge update.
- Natural Spacing below the house, Doctor Who at Kings Weston, Big Bulb Plant 2016, The Echo returns, More on the Echo.
- Working party progress at the Great Oak, development plans need feedback, News in brief, An intriguing Italian perspective, The statue and the “artificial cave”
- Working party progress at the walled garden glasshouse, missing link in Penpole woods path finished, Ongoing research on Wood Lodge, tree tracking, and the history of the Echo, and a stonework discovery at the glasshouse.
- Working party progress at the walled garden, Walled garden open day success, The rise and fall of Queen Elizabeth Hospital School at Kings Weston.
- Working party progress on laurels in Penpole Wood, first Walkfest report, National Listing for the war memorial, Felled Limes removed, Round the Back Front: a history of a forgotten part of the estate
- Pushing back the laurels in Penpole Wood, sapling planting in the wood, preparing for the walled garden open day, tree felling on the lime avenue, historic photos of Scouts in Penpole Wood.
- Laurel work for Forestry Commission in Penpole Wood, War memorial put forward for national Listing, Ethel Thomas Collection newly available at Bristol Archives.
- Natural spacing and laurels along Penpole Avenue, Planning application in place for house gardens, KWAG cited in Council heritage strategy, Historic photos of Napier Miles at home.
- Bad news for the ancient lime avenue, natural spacing along Penpole Avenue, Georgian Viewing Terrace Wall Listed, A history of Shirehampton War Memorial.
- Last of the lifting the curtain on the South Walk, Council tackle decades of encroachment, WWI Military tournament at Kings Weston, Vanbrugh’s castle gateway to the Great Court.
- The Iron Bridge badly damaged, Big Bulb plant at the concrete steps, Historic England concern over Listed buildings, new online archive heritage resources.
- Copleston Warre Bampfylde painting discovered, Lifting the curtain on the South Walk, Army Cadets and the Battle of Shirehampton, Doors open day and Capability Brown conference report, Riddle of the sphinx.
- Lifting the curtain at the concrete steps, Georgian Lily pond problems, WWII in the Home Park and recent finds.
Heritage Angels Award nomination, Lifting the curtain on the South Walk IV, walking guide relaunched, Junior Park Run, Shirehampton pines and Penpole Scouts badge.
- Lifting the curtain on the South Walk III, Flowers bloom on the Echo Walk, house facade windows restored, Lady de Clifford’s flowers.
- Lifting the curtain II, tree walk report, terrace meadow returned, dark revelations on the slavery history of the Southwell family.
Lifting the curtain on the South Walk, incredible efforts in Jubilee Clearing, recent nature walks, bluebell riot, Wood Lodge drawing acquisition, historic carriage mystery solved.
- Penpole Wood steps complete, Kings Weston -Versailles of Bristol?
- Continuing work n Penpole Wood steps, bulb explosion, To conserve, enhance, and inspire: KWAG’s recent grant application work, scattered finds, archaeology on Penpole Woods steps.
- New map board installed, continuing work on Penpole Wood steps, new Kings Weston delivery group, Tudor House animation, Avonmouth: Unruly child of Kings Weston? 150th anniversary of the township.
Since 2013 our Newsletters have changed format.